History of the East Hampton Airport

-        In 1945, the airport was managed and operated by two women, Charlotte Niles and Margaret Lowell-Wallace, who also happened to be WASP (Women’s Airforce Service Pilots) veterans, flight instructors, and airplane mechanics

-        The airport was first built as a municipal airport in 1936-37 using funds provided through the Work Projects Administration (WPA) as a result of a petition by the East Hampton Business Men’s Club and the efforts of the East Hampton Town Board.

-        In 1936, news reports about the East Hampton Airport celebrated that “the entire township will profit to a great extent from the possession of such an asset” and that it would be “a vital part” of the community.

-        In 1937, the airport was reported by the East Hampton Star to be “one of the finest things ever undertaken” and “its importance in the future growth of East Hampton cannot be underestimated”.

-        In 1942, the airport was expanded to its current size and the runways were enlarged to their current length pursuant to $500,000 in funding provided by the Civil Aeronautics Authority and the Department of Commerce.

-        The airport acted as an emergency landing strip during WWII

-        Commercial commuter flights have been traveling between East Hampton’s airport and New York, Boston, and the entire northeast region since the mid-1930s.

-        Commercial seaplane services have been bringing commuters and visitors to East Hampton since the 1940s, and commercial helicopter services have been bringing commuters and visitors to East Hampton since the 1970s. 

-        The airport has always been designed to bring in summer commuters and residents since the 1930s – “Each year more and more of our summer residents are turning to aviation, as a means of commuting between New York offices and East Hampton homes” and “it will be a positive attraction to New York business men who desire fast transportation between their offices and country homes.”

-        According to a comprehensive economic study performed by NYU in 2013, the East Hampton Airport local spending by airport users annually generates more than $48 million in economic revenue for the local economy, and the airport creates approximately 650 full time jobs (which is 7.3% of all employment in East Hampton), and the airport is responsible for over $13 million in employee income in the local community.

 

 
  East Hampton Airport was operated by two Women's Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) from 1945-1949

East Hampton Airport was operated by two Women's Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) from 1945-1949

A mile of road will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you everywhere.
— Anonymous
  East Hampton Airport Logo 1946

East Hampton Airport Logo 1946

East Hampton Airport

200 Daniels Hole Road
East Hampton, NY 11937

Email

justplanefunhto@gmail.com

Phone

+1 631-230-0630

  East Hampton Airport 1951

East Hampton Airport 1951

  East Hampton Airport operator, Mel Lamb, flies Polio vaccine to Fisher's Island 1955

East Hampton Airport operator, Mel Lamb, flies Polio vaccine to Fisher's Island 1955

  East Hampton First Graders Visit the Airport

East Hampton First Graders Visit the Airport

  One of the many classic B-23's operated out of East Hampton in the 1960's

One of the many classic B-23's operated out of East Hampton in the 1960's

  Trump Airlines Helicopter operating at East Hampton in 1980's

Trump Airlines Helicopter operating at East Hampton in 1980's

  Seaplane flights from New York to East Hampton in 1946

Seaplane flights from New York to East Hampton in 1946